Home Life Pork lovers be careful in the kitchen.

Pork lovers be careful in the kitchen.

Photo Source: alexas photos

A Hong Kong butcher was recently admitted to the ICU after an  infection. “From his clinical signs of fever, headache, vomiting, and dizziness, they suspected meningitis, an infection of the meninges, the tissues that cover the brain. Maybe they thought the infection was caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae or Neisseria meningitidis, two common causes of bacterial meningitis.”

“The World Health Organization says that person-to-person transmission is very unlikely—unless someone has the odd situation of contacting the blood of an infected person with their own open wound. Nonetheless, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have called this infection, “A rare but potentially under-recognized occupational hazard for workers in the swine industry in the United States.”

And the World Health Organization recommends these precautions for meat workers and pork consumers:

During food preparation

  • Do not handle raw pig-products if you have wounds on your hands unless you cover all wounds by waterproof dressings or plastic gloves
  • Keep the preparation area clean and wash your hands after handling
  • Separate raw meat from cooked or ready-to-eat foods to avoid contamination
  • Do not use the same chopping board or the same knife
  • Do not handle both raw and cooked meat without washing your hands in between
  • Do not place cooked meat back on the same surface it was on before cooking
  • Cook thoroughly (temperatures at or above 70º C in all parts of the product)

Human Streptococcus suis infection is an emerging infectious disease that should be considered as a possible cause of infections in pork processors and consumers.”

For the full article www.invisiverse.com